A mold home guide is essential to understand the basics of the substance, how it forms in the home, and the best ways to get rid of it. Besides being ugly and dangerous to the home's structure, it can also cause negative effects on a person's health. Here are some key things to comprehend about mold.
Why Mold Grows in the HomeMold, a fungus, is part of nature. Out in the elements, it serves as a way to break down dead items like old leaves and trees. However, a home becomes affected as spores enter, float through the air, and land on a wet surface. There are numerous types of mold, but none can grow without moisture. The most common places where mold forms include basements, attics, or where leaks occur. Mold may grow on:
- Ceiling tiles
- Duct work
Health Problems from MoldThere has been an increase with concerns that indoor mold exposure leads to a variety of health problems, especially allergic reactions. When mold is present in a home, residents may suffer from itchy eyes, nasal congestion, and sneezing. In severe cases, it may lead to asthma or permanent lung damage.
Signs of a Mold Problem
- Water stains on walls, floors, or ceilings
- Cracked, peeling, bubbled paint or wallpaper
- Bowed or Warped walls
Mold Prevention and RemovalThere are many steps a person can take to prevent mold from forming:
- Dry wet areas quickly. If there is a leaky pipe or a spill on the floor, it is essential to dry the site immediately.
- Install Proper Ventilation. Anywhere that moisture develops should have a place to ventilate out of the home. For example, showers, stoves, and clothes dryers should properly vent outside of the house.
- Direct Water Away from the House. Outside, the ground should slope away from a home's foundation. This keeps water from collecting and seeping into the basement.
- Use mold resistant products. When building a new house or repairing an older home, things like mold resistant drywall and paint should be used. These products contain ingredients like fiberglass that prevent moisture absorption.
- Monitor Roof Gutters. Cleaning gutters and repairing problems may prevent leaks from occurring on the roof.
Enter your text here ...